Epilogue

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lessons Learned

Robert and I decided very early on we'd do our best to not treat Miles any differently because of his leg. This hasn't always been easy, but I'd say we've done a pretty good job of raising him to focus on what he can accomplish and to try new things instead of focusing on assumed limitations. I had to stop myself today from doing the very thing I've been so determined not to do. We took Miles to a birthday party, and there was a rock wall there. Miles wanted to climbed it just like all of the other kids at the party. When my friend, who was hosting the party, asked if I wanted to let Miles do it, I answered without thinking, "No, he's never done that before. He doesn't know how." Ridiculous response, is it not? How does one learn to do something new without trying? I feel ashamed to admit that I responded like that. I really almost cheated Miles out of a perfect opportunity to shine, to accomplish a new feat, and to participate in a physical activity that may initially seem too arduous for an above knee amputee child. Fortunately, my mental lapse did not last longer than a few minutes, and Miles didn't have to suffer having his enthusiasm snuffed out by an over-protective mommy. Robert helped guide him for the first few feet, then he was on his own. He did wonderfully and not just for a kid with a physical disability. He climbed higher than quite a few children. Not only was I extremely proud of him, I also was humbled by the reminder to never set limitations on what Miles can do. His trajectory in life will be as high as he is willing to go, and Robert and I will be there to cheer him on.

No comments:

Post a Comment